Joker One: A Marine Platoon’s Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood is not a book about customer service or business. However, this book is full of insights into what makes a great leader and how, just like Marines in battle, your business will encounter a lot of surprises.
Joker One is the account of a Marine platoon that patrolled the Iraqi city of Ramadi in 2004. The story is told by the platoon’s leader, then Lieutenant Donnovan Campbell. It is a story of the brotherhood that forms in war and the love that these soldiers share.
Like the book 1776, Joker One contains stories that provide great parallels to how your business can succeed.
The frustrations, pain, suffering, surprises, successes, sacrifice, and leadership in Joker One are truly inspiring.
Turning these principles to business, they bring up many self-searching, evaluating questions:
- What kind of leadership do you have running your organization?
- How dedicated are your employees to your company and its goals despite the trials thereof?
- Do you plan meticulously only to have those plans fall apart when the realities of business hit?
- How do you measure success?
- Where do you draw the line between meeting a goal and the sacrifice it takes to do so?
- Your competition takes on many different forms and is around every corner. Do you know how to identify them?
- Can you rapidly adapt to a changing environment to meet both the needs of your employees and your customers?
- Do you train, keep learning, and continue growing to be ready for upcoming changes?
Should you read Joker One?
Buy the book – If you enjoy military history, Joker One is a touching and inspirational story that will both give you insights into the realities of this modern conflict and a great appreciation for the sacrifice these Marines made for others.
Like a parable, you will have to extract the principles and practices that will apply to your business.
Buy Joker One: A Marine Platoon’s Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood from Amazon.com.